Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart New TopicStart New Poll

One Year Late...r [RYAN]
Richard Mackenzie
 Posted: Mar 7 2014, 03:02 AM

I'm all six feet five of solidified handsome.

Group: Admin
Gold: 4825

Donate

Species: Human
Affiliation: Republic of Heaven
Character Profile
Played By: Remus

Awards: None

Richard leaned against an old tombstone and surveyed the crowd before them.

"Richard! A tombstone is not something you should be leaning against!"

"It gives me the best view!"

The man turned towards the statue of a pig daemon beside him and nodded.

"Hope you don't mind..."

He squinted at the named carved in marble.

"Alegra. Oh for fuck's sake, don't look at me like that. She's dead."

Morpheusa, however, was not pleased with the flippant way her human was treating death at a funeral, and promptly ushered him towards the crowd. A face he knew popped up immediately.

That face was Magisterium.

And that face's hand offered him a hand.

Richard paused, and then shook it.

"He was a good man. He didn't deserve this."

Richard's face was immediately filled with rage.

"Judge Nathon was a good man, and what did he get in return? A system which shat him out and forgot about him with a funeral and an eulogy one year later. Some fucking gratitude we're showing him."

Richard!

What's he going to do? Gun me down in the middle of the day?

To his credit, the Magisterium looked embarrassed.

"We should have handled this better. Judge Nathon's replacement is...not as good as expected."

"Then you should fix...what's his name? Skape? Skipe? And do it fast."

Richard left the man and moved on. The turnout was enormous, but then again, the man they were commemorating always loomed larger than life in their lives. A postman turned judge was a rags to riches story. A judge who single handedly ran a line of communication between two parties deserved a bit more than this.

Men like that could save lives. Do you remember the truce he brokered for the Mad Daemon Disease?

Yep.

The Republican, now beside the newly carved statue of Nathon's daemon, Mikosof, lightly touched the tip of one of its wings.

"Goodbye, Mikel. Thanks for the memories."

The white tigress bowed her head at her human's words, only to look up immediately as his sentence was followed by -

"Ryan?"

PM
Ryan Whitman
 Posted: Mar 7 2014, 05:06 AM

Scholar

Group: Members
Gold: 4539

Donate

Affiliation: Magisterium/The Kingdom of Heaven
Character Profile
Played By: Jaqi

In memory of Mikel Simon Nathon a.k.a. MSN
user posted image

and Mikosof
user posted image

Ryan shifted his collar up to protect his neck against the bitter cold and rain. From his pocket, he unravelled a deep red scarf and wrapped it around his neck. He took another and circled it around Nalan's neck. The grey fox flicked a bit of rain drop from her paw onto the ground only to have a dozen more replace it.

The pair shuffled uncomfortably at the back of the crowd. Mikel was a good man. He was gentle and old, ruthless as a judge, but fair. Ryan has had a few meals with Mikel, finding him surprisingly easy to talk to. The judge had told him about his rise to success from his days as a post boy, about how the current postal service are largely established by him. Nalan had found Mikosof a very respectable daemon, in fact one of the few that she looked up to.

His death was sad news to the whole community but Ryan was glad that it was an easy death. Died in his sleep, Ryan had heard. He wondered why the funeral was held a year later. Suspiciously so? Perhaps.

Suddenly from behind, the undercover heard his name spoken. Ryan turned and saw Richard and Morpheusa standing not a metre from him.

'Richard!' he said in hushed tones. Nalan turned her head, groaned inwardly, and nodded her head politely in the tigress' direction. 'Come, stand next to me.'

Currently I am Dooting adults in Oxford, explaining MDD to a child, and picking up a woman at a bar.

Ryan: Loyalty. That is all I have for the Magisterium.
Nalan: You suck.
Ryan and Nalan's profile
PM
Richard Mackenzie
 Posted: Mar 7 2014, 05:17 AM

Donate

Character Profile

"Ryan what're you doing here?"

Richard shuffled towards the scholar and shook hands. His daemon nodded at Nalan courteously. This was all a little odd. What did Mikel and a scholar have in common? He usually handled the communication between the Republic and the Magisterium.

"Did you know Mikel?"

Morpheusa managed to annoy the daemon beside her by muscling in to stand beside her human. Both daemons traded looks but said nothing.

So far.

PM
Ryan Whitman
 Posted: Mar 7 2014, 05:26 AM

Scholar

Donate

Character Profile

Ryan took Richard's hand. 'Good to see you mate,' he said, wondering why Richard was here and whether he had stumbled in on a funeral by accident. But Richard was a very successful businessman, he probably have had some relations with Mikel.

'Yeah, I knew Mikel. Good man. He'd swing by for lunch when he was around Oxford, or when I was around his courthouse,' Ryan whispered.

Nalan opened her mouth and stuck out her tongue and thought she tasted snow. No, just very cold rain, she thought dully.

'How do you know the man?'

Currently I am Dooting adults in Oxford, explaining MDD to a child, and picking up a woman at a bar.

Ryan and Nalan's profile
PM
Richard Mackenzie
 Posted: Mar 7 2014, 03:29 PM

Donate

Character Profile

"Didn't know you had an interest in law, Ryan. Always thought you were more interested in planets."

Richard scratched his chin.

"Mikel used to settle some of our disputes over at Mackenzie International. He was fair. I had no complains over the outcomes of the case."

Morpheusa sat down on the ground, and then jumped up again - having discovered the muddy puddle near her arse.

"Did Mikel settle scholarly disputes at Jordan's as well? I can imagine the amount of infighting there must be for the use of grants and all that."

PM
Ryan Whitman
 Posted: Mar 8 2014, 02:17 AM

Scholar

Donate

Character Profile

'You are right, I have no interest in law whatsoever,' Ryan replied as Nalan stretched her scarved neck a little to see if a daemon on the other side of the gathering was a fox also.

'And no we don't take the matter to the courts if there's a dispute for grants. We are much more direct in our approach, none of that riff raff and time wasting. We just find the offending scientist and kill him.'

'..er..,' Nalan snapped her head to look up at her human and Richard. 'We do no such thing, Richard.'

From in front, a person turned her head and glared at them with a finger pressed against her lips to signal silence.

Ryan winked at the woman. 'Right back at ya' girl,' he clicked.

The speeches were starting.

Ryan and Nalan's profile
PM
Richard Mackenzie
 Posted: Mar 8 2014, 04:17 AM

Donate

Character Profile

Richard winked at Nalan.

"Of course not. How would Ryan, a scholar at the heart of Jordan's, dispose the body without drawing any attention? Though I'll say that Jordan's would be a far more exciting place to be if there were a few murders every year."

Morpheusa hissed out of the corner of her mouth.

"We're at a funera! The speeches are starting right now!"

"Right."

Her human nodded at the person in front of them and grinned.

"Sorry."

The man took a swig out of his hip flask of whiskey and offered it to Ryan.

"Are you due to give a speech as well?"

PM
Ryan Whitman
 Posted: Mar 8 2014, 04:25 AM

Scholar

Donate

Character Profile

Ryan took Richard's hip flask and took a sip before returning it. 'You'll be surprised, Richard,' Ryan whispered back. 'I've been there long enough to hear a few odds and untimely ends at Jordan's. They like to keep it hush hush, you know what I'm saying?'

Nalan set her gaze back at the funeral progression. She can't believe Ryan was talking about murders at Jordan with, least of all people, Richard.

'I'd like to say a few words about Nathon. Are you speaking? He kissed me once, did you know?'

Ryan and Nalan's profile
PM
Richard Mackenzie
 Posted: Mar 8 2014, 04:36 AM

Donate

Character Profile

"Kissed you?"

Richard shook his head in mock seriousness as he placed his hipflask back into his pocket.

"Was that on that one time where you didn't show up for the ball? I'm afraid Mikel and I were never that intimate. Only people who have ever kissed me are ravishing young women."

Morpheusa shuddered at the thought.

PM
Ryan Whitman
 Posted: Mar 8 2014, 04:48 AM

Scholar

Donate

Character Profile

'Which ball? You know I missed a few balls because of ...unforeseen circumstances..people I met along the way..' Ryan replied slyly.

Nalan wished she was a bigger daemon so she could swallow her human whole.

'I had to tell Mikel gently that I was flattered but that I was not interested, though if my tastes ever did change, he would be the first one I call. Say is that his wife?' the scholar said, gesturing to an old lady. In actual fact, Mikel only kissed Ryan on the cheek as a polite farewell gesture. But Ryan teased him endlessly for it subsequently.

The woman in front of them turned around once more, glared at them and promptly moved away with her squirrel daemon on her shoulder.

Ryan and Nalan's profile
PM
Richard Mackenzie
 Posted: Mar 8 2014, 05:03 AM

Donate

Character Profile

"Bye, Miss."

Richard waved cheerily at the woman and her squirrel daemon as she stormed off.

"Boy she's in a bad mood."

"Shut up! Mikel's wife is coming!"

An old lady tottered towards them with a butterfly-daemon fluttering around her. Morpheusa seized the opportunity to whisper a few last minute words of advice towards him.

"Don't ask her why the funeral was a year late! The poor lady's suffered enough as is!"

"Fine, Morpheusa. Honestly, you would think this was the first time I'm conducting myself in public."

"The first time you need to do so as an adult, yes!"

Her human kicked her bottom and moved forward to shake Mrs Nathon's hand.

"Mrs Nathon. Sorry for your loss."

PM
Ryan Whitman
 Posted: Mar 8 2014, 05:12 AM

Scholar

Donate

Character Profile

Ryan grinned stupidly as the woman moved away in annoyance.

Great, Ryan. You have upset an upset woman at an upsetting event.

Mikel's wife shuffled towards them. Ryan took her hand, though he didn't think she knew him. 'I'm very sorry, Ms N. You let me know if there's anything I can do to ease the pain. Name is Ryan Whitman of Jordan's College. I was a friend of your late husband. Very sorry.'

The wife peered up at the two men with giant spectacles. 'He always loved Moes.'

Ryan blinked blankly.

Ryan and Nalan's profile
PM
Richard Mackenzie
 Posted: Mar 8 2014, 05:25 AM

Donate

Character Profile

"Ms N. Rings a bell. Wonder why. Cause for a wid - "

Morpheusa stared at her human, horrified.

"What Richard means, Mrs Nathon, is that it's Moe which rings a bell because - "

Great, Morpheusa. Thanks a lot. Who the fuck is Moe? What the fuck is Moe?

You were going to remind her she was a widow! Idiot!

Richard edged towards Ryan and muttered.

"What's a Moe? Sounds like the way kids pick things. Eeny, meeny, miney, moe."

PM
Ryan Whitman
 Posted: Mar 10 2014, 04:25 AM

Scholar

Donate

Character Profile

Ryan whispered back. 'I have no idea what a Moe is. Maybe it's a . . yeah I was going to say Scottish warrior, don't know where that came from.'

Ms N patted their backs and moved on, muttering what sounded like 'Moe' and 'rug'.

The first speech began, a lady whose name was Phile Sharin with a chimp for a daemon.

Ryan and Nalan's profile
PM
Edward Branson
 Posted: Mar 11 2014, 01:03 AM

Wanderer Between Worlds

Gold: 8692

Donate

Affiliation: Neutral
Character Profile
Played By: Ed

Awards: 3

He had never known Nathon well, had hardly used his services as envoy. Assassins never needed to negotiate, only to kill under orders. This was assuredly his loss in a life already filled with regret, but it was not too late to try and remedy his mistakes. He looked at his daughter beside him. No, it was never too late to remedy his mistakes.

So he stood away from the crowd, in a distant corner of the cemetery, and he paid his respects in his own little way. Viktoria monitored the exits (there were three) while he bowed his head, and he knew then that this would be their lives from now on. But he had much to be thankful for, and he was grateful, even despite the pain gnawing at his hands brought by the cold and the rain. His cane would not be an accessory today.

"Did you know him very well, child?" And he asked because there was still so much he did not know about his daughter. But it was never too late to redeem himself.

Thank you Jaqi!
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | The City of Lights | Next Newest »

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart New TopicStart New Poll

Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
RPG Collection Pokemon Enara Murders & Roses London Times Distant Fantasies Synthetic Truth Roleplay Ads The Writers Forum Roleplay Hub Pandora's Ascension New Born Muse 2.0 Obscura The Victors' Spoils Crossed Realms